Saturday, January 10, 2009

Tortilla Soup

I absolutely LOVE this version of tortilla soup. I literally CRAVE it every couple of weeks because of how fresh and homemade the taste it, and yet it is super easy to make. I got the original recipe from Real Simple Magazine, but did change several things to accomodate Brian and I's tastes and preferences. Since there are various ways to do this (and all will taste fabulous!) I'm going to post those options so you can decide what's best for you and your family!

Tortilla Soup

Option #1: Two 14-19oz. cans chicken noodle soup (Progresso is best), 1 c. frozen corn, 1 t. hot sauce

In med. saucepan, bring soup to simmer. Add corn & hot sauce, stirring until just heated through, about 2-3 minutes. Ladle into bowls & serve with avocado and tortilla chips.

OR:

Option #2: Two 14-19oz. can chicken noodle soup (Progresso is best) with chicken cubes removed, 1/2 lb. chicken, 1 medium green bell pepper, 1 c. frozen corn, 1 t. hot sauce

In large pot, boil chicken for approximately 30-45 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink. Remove and shred into small and medium pieces, set aside. In medium saucepan, bring soup to simmer. Chop bell pepper into medium and large chunks. Add bell pepper, corn, & hot sauce to soup, stirring until just heated through, about 2-3 minutes. Ladle into bowls & serve with avocado and tortilla chips.

-------------------------------------

**My husband and I do like a little more spice, so we added more like 3 t. of hot sauce instead of 1. You can also add any of your other favorite veggies, red bell pepper, squash, etc., to give it a flavor that is perfect for your family!

No comments: