Thursday, January 15, 2009

100 Calorie (or less) Snacks!

I am a snacker. My husband says I eat like a bird, but it's really because I eat little bits about 6 times a day. I have a favorite 100-calorie snack, and it doesn't come in a tiny little cellophane package either! It's crunchy, sweet, satisfying, and..... well... sassy!

All you need is a package of plain or lightly salted rice cakes and one other ingredient. Now before you go bashing the rice cake, let me explain my choice. I like the crunch of a rice cake, it's gluten free (does not contain wheat and other grains that make some people sick), and still has 9 grams of whole grain (it is whole grain brown rice) in each cake! Perhaps more impressively, it has a gram of protein and no fat.... and all of this at only 35 calories! The star ingredient is a spreadable one, so choosing a rice cake also cuts back on the calories you would get in a normal piece of bread... and let's face it... anytime a spreadable ingredient is involved, it's always the start.

Now that we're past the rice cake, you add the star ingredient..... reduced fat (you can't even tell, I promise!) strawberry cream cheese. YUUUUMMM! You don't want to overdo it with cream cheese, but truthfully, you will probably only use a tablespoon or two, and two tablespoons provides 2 grams of protein and a little bit of fat to keep you satisfied (0 grams trans. fat).

Don't knock it until you've tried it. It's delicious. Cellophane package not included (thank goodness) and cooking... not required.

Enjoy!

No comments: