Thursday, December 4, 2008

The Garlic Smash

My mom (my own culinary teacher!) recently said I should write a post about how to peel garlic. I was shocked that she didn't know the technique that I have loving dubbed, "The Garlic Smash"! The very best way to get a clove of garlic out of its paper is to take a flat object (I use the flat edge of your chopping knife - it's probably what you will use to cut up the garlic anyway, so it's convenient), and place it on top of the clove of garlic. Use one hand to steady your choice flat object and the other to give it a good firm smash! The clove will separate from the paper making peeling easy!

Photo: courtesy of startcooking.com.
So - mom, and the rest of you faithful readers - happy smashing! And if you have a great way to peel garlic - leave it as a comment!

Kristy

No comments: