My husband and I are alike in SO many ways, there wouldn't be enough days in the year to count them! The ONE thing we differ on?... Dessert. In every way, shape, and form. He likes fruity desserts, I think dessert is only dessert if it has chocolate as an ingredient. :) Recently when I made our first Thanksgiving meal together, I really wanted a dessert that we would both enjoy. I came across a recipe for a Spice Cake, but didn't have the specific type of pan it required. So I did a little bit of creating and came up with an Apple Cider version that can be cooked in any regular cake pan. It isn't an overwhelming sweet taste, but has a very holiday scent and taste and would be great as an alternative to all the extra-sweet desserts at the table (which I equally love, too!). Try it for your next holiday meal this season!Cake Ingredients:
2-1/2 c. all purpose flour
1/4c. cornstarch
4t. baking powder
1/2t. salt
2t. ground ginger
1t. ground cinnamon
1/2t. ground nutmeg
1/2t. ground allspice
1/2t. ground cloves
1c. apple cider
3 large eggs
2t. vanilla
1c. unsalted butter, softened
2c. dark brown sugar
Cinnamon Glaze ingredients:
1/2c. sugar
1/4c. buttermilk
1/4t. baking soda
2t. corn syrup
1/4t. vanilla
1/4c. margarine
1/4t. cinnamon
For cake: Preheat to 350. Grease and lightly flour a metal 9 x 13" pan (or two 8" cake pans). Whisk dry ingredients and spices in large bowl. Mix milk, eggs, and vanilla extract in seperate bowl. Beat softened butter into dry ingredients on medium. Add milk mixture and beat on low until smooth. Add the sugar and beat about 30 seconds. Pour batter into cake pan. Bake until toothpick in center comes out clean or about 40minutes. Let cool 5 minutes.
For glaze: Combine all ingredients in medium saucepan. Bring to rolling boil over low heat. Boil for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Top cake with glaze and serve warm. (To get an even distribution over cake, use the back of a regular spoon to spread.)
Enjoy!
Brittany
No comments:
Post a Comment