Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Creamy Baked Chicken Sandwiches!

This recipe is a casual version of a dish that was served at a formal event I attended recently. It's a great hot sandwich that is easy to make and just that "something different".



Ingredients:

4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
½ package frozen spinach
½ cup sour cream
1 package refrigerated biscuit dough
Salt and Pepper to taste


  1. Preheat oven according to directions on biscuit package.

  2. Cut thickest 1/3 of chicken breasts away from the remainder of the breast. Pound thinner portion with meat pounder (or the class substitute for a meat pounder– the edge of a can of veggies). You can save the remaining portions for a grilled chicken salad, etc, but the thinner portion of the meat is best for this dish!

  3. Season both sides of the chicken with salt and pepper and place on baking sheet. Put chicken in oven fro approximately 15-20 minutes. (This step will depend on the temperature used in step one. For a 400 degree oven, 15-20 minutes should be great!).

  4. While chicken bakes, roll out biscuits into larger flat circles.

  5. Combine spinach and sour cream into a creamy mixture. You could also use ricotta cheese if you prefer it over sour cream. The measurements above are approximate, but you want a creamy spinach mixture to stuff your sandwich with!

  6. Remove chicken from the oven. It will NOT be all the way cooked through but should have a good start.

  7. Place one biscuit below each chicken breast on the baking sheet. Then add spinach and sour cream mixture on top of chicken breast and spread in an even layer. Add another biscuit to form the top of your sandwich and press the edges of the two biscuits together on each side of the chicken breast (you don’t need a “seal” all the way around; just enough to hold the sandwich together!)

  8. Put sandwiches back into the oven until the biscuits are golden brown.

So - there.... proof that you don't need a panini grill to make a tasty hot sandwich!


Kristy

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

YUMMY! Sounds so good! I bet you could buy chicken cutlets, too... they're usually come very thin in the package already!

Anonymous said...

Hey--love the idea, but I don't get the part about cutting the thinnest 1/3 part of the chicken away---sorry, I'm kinda slow. Do you mean cut it through the middle sideways? Explain me. :) I would LOVE to make these!

Kristy Goldman said...

Well - Brittany's idea of using cutlets would work great actually, but I had breasts at the time, so I used those. By cutting off the thickest 1/3 I just mean that when you lay the breast out flat when you take it out of the package, look at the top part (that is usually rounded and thicker) and the thinner part (usually comes to somewhat of a point). You won't need the whole breast, and the thicker part will have a hard time cooking all the way through, so I used that part of the breast that is thinner (toward the pointy end) and just cut off the top rounded thicker part and grilled that up for a salad.

Again, the cutlets would really work great, but if you have breasts, it can be done this way!