Saturday, October 25, 2008

Homemade Buttercream Icing

In light of Kristy's post about the fabulousness that is rubber spatulas, I wanted to post a quick recipe that you could use those great rubber spatulas to frost with! For my husband and I's one month anniversary I wanted to make a cake inspired by our white almond cake with buttercream frosting wedding cake:


So, in being a sassy chef myself, I took the quick & simple way with the cake- buying a simple white cake mix from the grocery store, and added a little splash of almond extract to the final product before it baked. The buttercream icing was worth every second of making from scratch, though.


Homemade Buttercream Icing


1/2c. solid vegetable shortening, 1/2c. butter (softened), 1t. clear vanilla extract, 4c. (apprx. 1lb) sifted confectioner's sugar, 2T. milk.


In large bowl cream shortening and butter with electric mixer. Add vanilla. Gradually add sugar, one cup at a time, beating well on medium speed. Scrape sides and bottom of bowl often. When all sugar has been mixed in, icing will appear dry. Add milk and beat at medium speed until light and fluffy. Keep bowl covered with a damp cloth until ready to use. Re-whip before using.


Here's my finished product! (I mean... it resembles our wedding cake enough, right?!) Let's be honest... the husband didn't care how it looked, but he loved how it tasted! We licked that bowl of icing 'til it was good and clean!


Happy cooking!

Brittany

No comments: